As I mentioned in yesterday’s procastination excuse/hypnotic-cute-fuzzy-critter post, I was, without warning or provocation, viciously tagged by The Apprentice Lab Rat with a nasty case of the “5 Things” meme. O Cruel Fate!
I still need more audio to assemble Stir-Fried Random Episode 3. Meanwhile, here’s me meme:
(Note: These answers should not be used for psychiatric evaluation purposes. Unless it amuses you.)
5 things I was doing 10 years ago
- Slowly making my way through the “two-year” Biotechnology program at American River College a class or two at a time
(Had I not had to move away, I was only an “American History” and “Technical Writing” class from an A.S. degree…)
- Clumsily (but, I’m very happy to report, successfully) pursuing a woman even nerdier than me
- Cursing the high cost of living, unpleasant weather, and pollution in the Sacramento Valley (and indeed most of California…)
- Celebrating my first year of being full-time “Microsoft®-Free” (on Slackware)
- Working at the first truly enjoyable job I’ve had (at a small biotech company)
5 things on my “to do” list today
(Note: This is a “to do” list, not an “actually will get done” list…)
- See if I can find information about some even-older papers mentioned in the paper I’ve already picked for next month’s “Giant’s Shoulders” contribution. (Hooray for Victorian-era biochemistry!)
- Finish preparing the little fish-tank I intend to use as a small native-species aquarium.
- Get some more audio recorded and edited for Episode 3 of “Stir-Fried Random”, including picking this week’s Nerd Word.
- Taste the chunks of cut honeydew melon that I fermented last month.
- Experiment with the erythritol that I picked up and see if I can formulate homemade sugarless Cinnamon Bears.
5 snacks I love
- Cinnamon Bears
5 things I’d do if I were a millionaire
(How MUCH of a “millionaire”? Exactly $1,000,000? Or “Millions”? I’ll assume the latter…)
- Pay off all debts
- Probably move to a cooler wet climate
- Build myself a really kick-butt home-science lab with spiffy lab equipment (Microscopes, Incubators, centrifuges, FTIR Spectrometer, GC, HPLC, MALDI, -80°C freezer, lyophilizer, and of course an X-Ray Fluorescence spectrometer for my lovely wife…) and outfit it with generators, batteries, solar panels, etc. to be “Grid-Optional”. Oh, and at least a dedicated T3 line and a collection of publically-accesible IP addresses. (Yes, I am a nerd.)
- Do a lot more travel by train
- Become a self-employed full-time Mad Scientist
5 places I have lived
- Southport, North Carolina
- Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
- Various places in California (Several times)
- Southeastern Idaho (Twice)
- Southeastern Texas
5 Jobs I’ve had
- Credit collections (My first real job, where I learned to hate phones)
- Retail clerk at an “Electronics Boutique”
- Full-time tech-support lead at a proprietary software company (where I learned to really hate phones, as well as proprietary software)
- Full-time college student/Kept Boy
- Linux nerd in a college biochemistry department
People I’ll tag
(I’m afraid I’m not very meme-infectious at this stage…)